You are here

What is a Consent Order?

Submitted by Jamesnoble on Wed, 11/23/2022 - 21:51
Products Image: 

Legally Binding Agreements, signed by both parties and describes about what happens to your child and property after your separation is known as Consent Orders.

Due to the lengthy Court delays and the stress and cost associated with taking your family matter to Court, we are finding more and more clients coming to us with the consent orders and other agreements that they have come to through negotiating (or some other method) with their former partners.

These clients are asking for us to help them obtain orders that are binding on both parties and that will provide final separation of children’s and financial issues to provide certainty for their future.

If you have come to an agreement and want a fast and efficient way of getting your agreement made into Orders that will result in a binding and enforceable document, Applying for Consent Orders is the best option for you.

Parties can enter into Consent Orders to finalise the arrangements in relation to property, children, and spousal maintenance by signing an Application for Consent Orders document along with Minutes of Consent (the actual orders you want the Court to make) and lodging the documents with the Family Court of Australia. The Application is considered by the Court and the orders made by a Judicial Officer.

How can I obtain Consent Orders?

Consent Orders can be obtained in a timely and effective manner using a three-step process.

Discussions with the other party in order to reach an agreement. This can be done between the parties themselves, or through their respective solicitors.
Preparation of the necessary documents that must be filed in Court. The first document is the Application for Consent Orders which sets out the details of each party and the children, and a statement of assets and liabilities for each party. The application must be accompanied by the Consent Orders themselves (Somethimes known as Minutes of Cosnent) which is a document reflecting the agreement reached and how the parties intend to put the agreement into action. If parties are seeking parenting orders, an Annexure to Proposed Consent Parenting Order must also be attached, outlining whether there is any risk of family violence to the children.
The final step involves lodging the Application for Consent Orders with supporting documents with the Court.
Parties can apply for Consent Orders without the necessity of going to Court.
At James Noble Law we can do it all for you based on your instructions or you can assist in drafting the Application yourself as best you can thereby save you a considerable cost.

If you fill out the Application yourself we may only need some limited instruction to draft the Minutes of Consent for you, and for simple matters, this may not take us long to complete.

We find that we can get the job done for as little as $1,500 + GST.

This means that it will always be in your best interests to come to an agreement between yourselves. It will save you a lot of money in legal fees. Money that you can spend on your new life and your children. That’s the best free legal advice you will ever get.

What are the advantages of a Consent Order?

Consent Orders are legally binding meaning that both parties must comply with the agreement.
Consent Orders are inexpensive compared to commencing court proceedings if parties are unable to agree.
The Court will only make Consent Orders if the agreement is just and equitable.
Parties have the flexibility to decide what is best for themselves and their children (if any).
Creates stability and certainty in relation to the care, welfare, and development of the children.
Minimizes the possibility of your former partner seeking to alter informal care arrangements of the children if circumstances change, and those arrangements are no longer suitable.
Enables parties to sever financial ties by formally agreeing on the way in which assets are to be divided.

What are the disadvantages of a Consent Order?

Drafting the application and accompanying documents can take time to prepare. The Court also requires time to review the Consent Order before making the agreement legally binding.
Applying for Consent Orders carries a filing fee to be paid to the Court.
Even if both parties change their mind about the agreements, Consent Orders are final and cannot be changed unless there has been a significant change in circumstances.

What are the consequences if I breach a Consent Order?

Contravening a Consent Order carries serious consequences by the Court unless you have a reasonable excuse.

The following Penalties may include if you breach Consent Orders:
Paying for any expenses incurred because of the contravention.
Paying some or all of the other party’s legal costs.
Community work.
A fine.
A jail term of up to 12 months for more serious contraventions.

Why Should you obtain legal advice on Consent Order?

The Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia provides a ‘do it yourself kit’ for Consent Order. However, this DIY Kit does not include the drafting of the Minutes of Consent which need to be drafted properly so they can operate correctly.

The kit cannot compare to the expertise, experience, and knowledge that the team at James Noble Law posses to ensure that all your children’s and financial issues are protected within the Consent Orders.

We know what needs to be included to provide for an amicable and timely separation from your partner. If you require assistance preparing Consent Order, please contact the team at James Noble Law to arrange a free and no-obligation consultation.

Need Legal Help?
If you are considering entering into a Consent Order please contact the Brisbane family law team at James Noble Law today for a FREE, no-obligation 20-minute consultation. To schedule an appointment with one of our Qualified and experienced Family lawyers Brisbane.