You are here



We asked Abolfazl Moghadam who has worked on hundreds of legal matters relating to Graduate visas and immigration applications and is a fully accredited immigration agent. He is also responsible for all Common Questions About graduate visas & Immigration on behalf of Aylward Game Solicitors. Abolfazl quickly answered the top 6 questions our clients have asked over the past month but if you have any specific questions relating to your circumstances.

1.What do I do to qualify?

Basically, in order to qualify for this visa, the international applicant should have a recent qualification in a Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS), hold an eligible Australian visa, and be under 50 years of age. In addition, the applicant must have a qualification relevant to an occupation on the skilled occupation list and, among others, meet the Australian health and character requirements.

2.How long does it take?

The processing time for this visa is approximately 4-5 months. Once the visa is approved and depending on whether it is the Graduate Work stream or the Post-Study Work stream, it allows the applicant to stay in Australia for up to 18 months or between 2 and 4 years depending on the applicant’s qualification.

3.What are the benefits (of study in au?)

With this visa, the qualified applicant can live, study, and work in Australia temporarily. Pretty big benefit.

4.What traps to be aware of?

The applicant of this visa must have and maintain adequate health insurance for the whole of his/her stay in Australia. The applicant of this visa cannot be granted if he/she previously received a subclass 485 or a subclass 476 visa as a primary visa holder. You must find your own employment while on this visa.

5.What about my family?

If the applicant of this visa is approved, he/she can apply for family members to join him/her in Australia. The duration of their graduate visas and immigration will depend on the applicant’s circumstances. 

6.When can I start the process?

Usually, the applicant of this has held a student visa within the past 6 months before lodging the application and holds either a substantive or Bridging Visa A, or Bridging Visa B. If the applicant’s student visa was canceled, but in the past 28 days the Tribunal has notified him/her of a decision to set aside and substitute the Minister’s decision not to revoke the cancellation, then the application for this visa can be processed.