Beginning: Fire extinguishers are one of the most visible and common firefighting devices in the arsenal of both fire fighters and property owners. Be it residential or commercial, fire extinguishers, fire alarms, water sprinklers, and other firefighting equipment are seen as standard and mandatory. Fire extinguisher maintenance and servicing have to be prioritised annually or every five years by professionals. It ensures checking and validation before granting a safety certificate.
Timely checking and servicing all fire safety equipment is important as it keeps all the people safe and ensures all fire equipment is functioning in case of an emergency. There are essentially six main types of fire extinguishers, including water, foam, CO2, powder, water mist, and wet chemical. All these help fight fires of different types.
The Major Reasons to Perform a Timely Fire Extinguisher Service.
- Possible invisible leakage: There are fire extinguisher issues that can be popped out by a qualified service engineer. The problem can be leaks that render fire extinguishers less effective. Besides, pressure gauges may need proper checks to guarantee functionality and detect leaks.
- Damage may happen in hard-to-see areas like corrosion to aluminium, steel, and plastic inside the cylinder or functional readiness. If not handled properly, a fire extinguisher may fail to operate at critical moments or in emergencies.
- Potential hose blockage: hose blockage or damage due to various causes may lead to debris blocking or failing to work. O-rings on the hose deteriorate and lessen extinguisher functionality.
- Recharge or refill for appropriate firefighting purposes: When fire extinguishers are engaged partially or briefly, they need to be recharged instantly after use. This ensures they are always ready for use in case of fire trouble.
- Wear to vital labels: unused extinguishers get wear and tear on parts over time. This is mostly outdoors or in warehouse locations. These wear effects include fading and illegible maintenance labels. The labels have vital instructions for proper operation in fighting fires and for reference by service technicians.
Basic Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
(a). Who Should Service or Maintain a Fire Extinguisher?
Fire extinguisher maintenance must be done by certified fire engineers, who do several checks to determine the functional condition of the firefighting equipment. Typical fire extinguisher maintenance is either annually or after a few years of service. There are standard and systematic checks carried out with visual and technical inspection.
(b). Should All Types of Fire Extinguishers Be Serviced?
The answer is yes. There is no guarantee as to when fire breaks out, what causes it, its intensity, or the potential for destruction and loss. Do all fire extinguishers need servicing? Fire extinguishers can be serviced every year. This is a basic check and service. There are service guidelines for each fire extinguisher type that are always done by a third-party certified and accredited fire extinguisher technician. They use professional tools, have training, follow protocols, and are experts.
Conclusion: Like a fire risk assessment report, fire extinguisher maintenance is a must and a standard requirement, especially in buildings with multiple tenancies or residents. Keeping all inhabitants of the premises safe and secure from fire risks and threats means constant readiness and alertness, with all firefighting equipment in top working condition.